About Me

My photo
Mysteries, polka dots, California Rolls, TJ Maxx, cozy blankets, rainy days and getting the first spoonful of peanut butter out of the jar make me smile. Spiders, rude people, cold fingers and toes, baby leashes, people that don't wrap their packages before going to the Post Office, poison ivy and Math (pretty much all of it) make me want to scream. My perfect day would be spent with my wonderful husband and sweet girls- watching movies in our jammies! Of course, having the movie theater to ourselves would be great, too. Please pass the popcorn and M&M's.:) I am saved by the grace of God. He is my constant companion and hears my every prayer. What a blessing! I'd love to hear from you! Lori at toosillysisters@cox.net

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Prairie Primer

We home school year round so we can take breaks during the year, as we please. We love vacationing while school is in session.:) Today the girls and I started reading On The Banks of Plum Creek (Little House on the Prairie series). The Prairie Primer is the curriculum we use to accompany the books and it is wonderful! Today we learned how to classify animals and plants, identify the parts of a tree (including xylem, phloem and cambium), what causes cholera, dysentery and hepatitis, and a bit about bartering, among other things. That was just in the first two chapters!
I love reading with my girls. Mandy is a wonderful reader, too, and puts lots of emotion into the words. The Prairie Primer is a pretty relaxed curriculum, but I want summer to be fun for my girls. Plus, it's hard to squeeze school in with camp, friends and fun!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

You're such a great mom!

Anonymous said...

I have heard many wonderful things about that!

April said...

I've always loved Little House on the Prairie books...I used to read them with my girls, too! Enjoy your Thursday...happy reading!

Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed the Little House series. You are a wonderful mommy, Lori. Lord, knows I couldn't home school, which is why Caroline goes to a Christian school.

theUngourmet said...

I have tried many times to home school and I am just not good at it! I really wish I was! My kids were accepted into a local Charter school this year. One of the things I like about the school is that they have a class on manners. I think that is such a great thing!

Those are great books! I used to watch the show with my family when I was a girl.

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Lori
Prairie Primer sounds a great curriculum. I remember enjoying watching Little House on The Prairie on TV but have never read any of the books. I am amazed you learned all that just from the first 2 chapters. Glad to hear you are having a fun summer with friends but also finding time to enjoy reading.
My desert island swap package came today. I am absolutely thrilled with my amazing goodies. Olenka has really spoiled me with the most beautiful gifts. I will post about it soon.
Lindsay
x

Elise said...

Fun, I've heard of this. I'll have to check it out again.
Elise

Sherri said...

I think it is great you read with your kids! We read to ours and they loved it! I love this series. I read the whole thing at lightning speed when I was in 3rd grade. I hope your girls enjoy it and you too!

Connie said...

Wow! Supermom! I threatened to homeschool my kids...but after their beggings and pleadings to just let them go to public school...I re-thought the idea!
I love Little House on the Prairie books! You can really learn alot from them!

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

That sounds so fun! I have the The Banks at Plum Creek, too....Not that it's too thrilling for the boys! They liked Genghis Khan and the Mogul Horde. Boys, good grief!

Tangee said...

What a great idea! Could you please send me your mailing address? Just email me at kiernansmommy2002@yahoo.com. So excited about our swap!

Beth said...

That looks great! We just read Little House in the Big Woods and are ready for more! Where did you find the Prairie Primer?

Ruth said...

I just love this book. Too bad I found it when my daughter was too old to enjoy it. We would have loved to use this when she was younger.

Ruth

Julie said...

I love Little House on the Prarie!
I catch myself watching it on Hallmark channel!
Hey...you need to enter my give a way!!! Have a good weekend...julie