About Me

My photo
Mysteries, polka dots, California Rolls, TJ Maxx, cozy blankets, rainy days and getting the first spoonful of peanut butter out of the jar make me smile. Spiders, rude people, cold fingers and toes, baby leashes, people that don't wrap their packages before going to the Post Office, poison ivy and Math (pretty much all of it) make me want to scream. My perfect day would be spent with my wonderful husband and sweet girls- watching movies in our jammies! Of course, having the movie theater to ourselves would be great, too. Please pass the popcorn and M&M's.:) I am saved by the grace of God. He is my constant companion and hears my every prayer. What a blessing! I'd love to hear from you! Lori at toosillysisters@cox.net

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Laura Ingalls Wilder

I've never been interested in American Indians.
Until now.

We're learning all about Laura Ingalls Wilder and her little house on the Kansas prairie.
Did you know they settled on Indian territory?

They didn't either.

Oops.


Indian women were responsible for creating, transporting and caring for the teepees.

If a woman felt like divorcing her husband she just had to take his things out of the teepee!

Bam.


Buffalo were a HUGE part of the Plains Indians lives.
They hunted them and used every part of the animal.


 A peek inside a miniature teepee.


And this is the outside.


We've learned so much during our study and I'm utterly fascinated with Indians now.  The girls are, too.


The museum had so much more than I anticipated.
We listened to recordings (looked like phones) throughout our visit.
 I kept saying, "This is so cool!"


Not sure what her expression is all about.


Gorgeous headdresses.
I can only imagine what was done to earn all those feathers.


I was going to make all the pictures sepia but I wanted to show the vivid colors.


Indian Boyhood is a book that was recommended in our study. 
It's the autobiographical account of a young Indian boy's life.
Like Little Tee Pee on the Prairie.

Absolutely amazing.
You should read it.


The colors are so true and lovely.
Created with rocks, flowers, animal bits and such.
No Hobby Lobby back then.:)


We're now studying malaria, quicksand, and wells, among other things.


Check it out here, if you like.;)

11 comments:

Jennifer Hutchins:) said...

You know I love this!!! I have to take the girls:) The Prairie Primer was one of our favorite resources too!

mysteryhistorymom said...

Jennifer- You must take your girls! It was so worth the trip and we had the museum to ourselves! AND it was FREE! I did leave a donation at the end, though.:) Perhaps you can write a book about a little Indian girl??:) Lori

Tristan said...

wow!! that looks so fun!

Unknown said...

Looks like a wonderful museum. I love Indians , who is the Indian boyhood written by? I will be sure to ck it out. Blessings

mysteryhistorymom said...

Karen- Indian Boyhood is written by Charles A. Eastman, although his Indian name is different.:) It's fascinating and I know you will really enjoy it! Lori

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Lori, your pictures are wonderful. Many of our schools over here study 'The American West' as part of the history sylabus. A visit here would make a great field trip but it's just a little far to go! I adore the stitched wallhanging/rug. The colors and patterns are beautiful. It must have been amazing to go inside all those teepees. I love Katie's t-shirt too :)
Lindsay
x

mysteryhistorymom said...

Lindsay- I thought you would get a kick out of her t-shirt! You know we saw it and thought of you and Jessica right away.:) You would LOVE this museum. It truly was fascinating and with so many displays and information you could spend hours there. Maybe someday you can visit?? If you come in the fall there will be no bugs/critters (very little) and there are tons of museums and such here. Someday?;) Lori

Unknown said...

Thanks Lori I will see if my local library has it will let you know .

Lindsay-ann said...

Lori, I hope we can visit someday. I would really love that. You have such great places to visit like this museum but the best part would be seeing YOU :)
Lindsay
x

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

Awesome! My Grandpa used to have a "chief" head dress that I loved wearing when I was a kid. I'm guessing it was my dad's at some point. Can you believe they did all that without Hobby Lobby?! When we homeschooled Caleb's favorite book was about the Indians (the name escapes me right now).

Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures! I homeschooled my kids and this time of year always makes me a little melancholy for those good old days!--