About Me

My photo
Mysteries, polka dots, California Rolls, TJ Maxx, cozy blankets, rainy days and getting the first spoonful of peanut butter out of the jar make me smile. Spiders, rude people, cold fingers and toes, baby leashes, people that don't wrap their packages before going to the Post Office, poison ivy and Math (pretty much all of it) make me want to scream. My perfect day would be spent with my wonderful husband and sweet girls- watching movies in our jammies! Of course, having the movie theater to ourselves would be great, too. Please pass the popcorn and M&M's.:) I am saved by the grace of God. He is my constant companion and hears my every prayer. What a blessing! I'd love to hear from you! Lori at toosillysisters@cox.net

Monday, March 24, 2014

the gift you can take anywhere

I want to thank all the volunteers out there.  Especially the ones that give their precious time to children.  I know you could be taking a nap, reading a book, or simply relaxing.  I get this.  And for that, I wish I could give you a big hug.  Or a truckload of Snickers.

Simply put, YOU ROCK.


We were so blessed to find a local church hosting AWANA this year.  Katie was so excited to receive her book, t-shirt and patches!  I never had to remind her to study her Bible verses- she was motivated and did it all on her own.  

While listening to Katie practice, I began to realize how much Bible verses mean to me.  They are a comfort- a gift!- that you can take wherever you go- opening them in times of trial as well as celebration.  They cost nothing and require not a bit of space.  So beautiful. 


These sweet girls learned this way before I did.


To celebrate the their hard work, a little party was planned.  Hobo Burgers (hamburgers and veggies wrapped in tinfoil and cooked over a fire) and S'mores were on the menu.  There is something so yummy about cooking over a fire...


I love the smile on Katie's face.  She was so scared her marshmallow would catch on fire- and, of course, it did!  It wasn't a big deal so she made a bunch more.;)  Even one for me!


After dinner the girls played Twister...


and then Headbandz!


The evening lasted an hour longer than planned.  No one wanted it to end!  A sure sign of a successful party.

The girls were encouraged to read their Bibles daily and do something (once a week) for others over the summer.  I'm going to challenge you to do the same.  Perhaps you could make a note this on your calendar/phone?  Bake cookies for a neighbor, read to an elderly person, watch a friend's children for the afternoon, pay for the person behind you at Starbucks.

You'll feel good.  Your children will learn from your example.  You'll make someone feel special.  Blessings all around.:)

*

8 comments:

Deborah Montgomery said...

Lori, you're such a good mom! those girls look like they had so much fun! We didn't do Awana but our children memorized Bible verses for Sunday School and Tae Kwon Do (yes, unusual, but the TKD instructor used it as a ministry). And such a good idea to challenge ourselves to do something kind for somebody once a week.

Rho said...

Hey Lori!

You guys looked like you were having a good time and a load of fun. Just by looking at the several pics that were shown when Katie and her friends made the smores made me want to have some too! I love your blog, it is inspirational and I love reading it whenever you post about something.

Keep up the posting!

-Rhoda

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

Simply beautiful! I love it. We're learning Bible verses and how we can use them in our prayers.

mysteryhistorymom said...

Deborah- Thank you so much for your kind words! The evening was wonderful and I'm so glad I was able to be there.:) I love that your children learned Bible verses in Tae Kwon Do! There's no wrong place for something as important as this. Wish I had learned more when I was younger but it's never too late, is it?:) Lori

mysteryhistorymom said...

Rhoda- Thank you so much, sweetie! Your words made me smile and touched my heart! You're such a wonderful young lady and inspire me as well.:) Lori

mysteryhistorymom said...

Amy- Thank you so much! You've been such a blessing to me over the years, sweetie. God has given me such a dear friend! Lori

Rho said...

Hey Lori~

Aw! Thank you so much for your kind words Lori, they are much appreciated and please keep posting about your adventures!

-Rhoda

M.K. said...

Those girls look so sweet, and what a good party for them! You are so right about Bible verses, and we memorized so many when we were kids. I do hope my kids have some tucked away in memory from Sunday school or VBS or camp or whatever. What a great post! Love the fire pit :)