About Me

My photo
Mysteries, polka dots, California Rolls, TJ Maxx, cozy blankets, rainy days and getting the first spoonful of peanut butter out of the jar make me smile. Spiders, rude people, cold fingers and toes, baby leashes, people that don't wrap their packages before going to the Post Office, poison ivy and Math (pretty much all of it) make me want to scream. My perfect day would be spent with my wonderful husband and sweet girls- watching movies in our jammies! Of course, having the movie theater to ourselves would be great, too. Please pass the popcorn and M&M's.:) I am saved by the grace of God. He is my constant companion and hears my every prayer. What a blessing! I'd love to hear from you! Lori at toosillysisters@cox.net

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

The Secret to Hummingbird Cake by Celeste Fletcher McHale- 2016 summer favorite!



It all begins with a mystery man, a secret and a friendship shared by three Southern women in a small town in Louisiana. The Secret to Hummingbird Cake is absolutely delicious and meant to be savored, like a frozen margarita on a hot summer night. Sweet and salty but every sip is delightful. You never want it to end! I was laughing out loud one second and crying the next. After the first chapter I was already looking to see what other books Celeste Fletcher McHale had written (The Sweet Smell of Magnolias and Memories comes out next year!). The friendship shared by Carrigan, Ella Rae and Laine is outrageous and rich and all together beautiful. They met in grade school, cruising through the years with crushes and adventures all the while growing as sisters. The journey you share with them as you learn their story will stay with you long after you turn the last page. The most memorable character is Carrigan. Oh, how I wish I were more like her! Brave, outspoken and all heart, she is the driving force in the sisterhood. The way she meets her future husband is sizzling! And the way he comes to her rescue is swoon worthy!! My favorite character is Laine, though. She lives her life in such an unassuming manner. Looking out for those who are forgotten and often overlooked. She is the champion of the underdog. Brave and strong in her own quiet way. Celeste Fletcher McHale's writing style is an engaging combination of familiarly warm and cleverly humorous. I adored the main characters, flaws and all. They aren't even close to perfect and THAT is where the magic lies. They are friends I wish I knew and I was charmed by the way the author wove their pasts into the present. I'd love to read more about this trio! Perhaps a prequel? I highly recommend this book to ladies who are looking for a magnificent story of friendship, love and gracefully letting go. Prepare to laugh until you cry one minute and then bawl your eyes the next. You'll love every second. Will you learn the secret to hummingbird cake? I guess there's only one way to find out...

*I was given this incredible book by BookLook Bloggers in exchange for my honest opinion. No other compensation was received.*

2 comments:

Tristan said...

I keep meaning to comment on posts..my phone never wants to cooperate!! I want to read this..sounds so good!!

Shawnee said...

This sounds like a good one!