About Me

My photo
Mysteries, polka dots, California Rolls, TJ Maxx, cozy blankets, rainy days and getting the first spoonful of peanut butter out of the jar make me smile. Spiders, rude people, cold fingers and toes, baby leashes, people that don't wrap their packages before going to the Post Office, poison ivy and Math (pretty much all of it) make me want to scream. My perfect day would be spent with my wonderful husband and sweet girls- watching movies in our jammies! Of course, having the movie theater to ourselves would be great, too. Please pass the popcorn and M&M's.:) I am saved by the grace of God. He is my constant companion and hears my every prayer. What a blessing! I'd love to hear from you! Lori at toosillysisters@cox.net

Saturday, January 18, 2014

cozy january

January is a cozy month.  Time for resting, reading, planning and dreaming by the fire.
I love that it's too cold to go outside.  Sure would like a little more snow, though...

It's Educator's Week at Barnes and Noble- ends tomorrow (19th). 25% off for homeschoolers!



I've been drooling over The Book Blogger's Cookbook.  Books and recipes in one place.  Most of the books are YA (Matched, Fablehaven, Before I Fall, etc.) so I should be able to eat my way through it quickly.:)  Only 99 cents! (There's a 2012 edition, too.)



We've been playing games as a family and trying to watch less TV.  It takes an effort, you guys, but it really is fun!  Onto the Desert is our new favorite board game.  All about the food chain...

January is also the month that ballet intensive auditions begin.  Today Katie attended her first- she was the youngest one there.  I was so proud of her.  She looked a bit lost, though, and I felt sick just dropping her off.  I hung out at Panera with my iced tea and vegetable soup and prayed that she would have a positive experience.  My sweet girl...

On a lighter note, most auditions require a head shot and an arabesque on pointe picture.  You should have seen us moving furniture and dodging pets while attempting to take pictures yesterday!  Wood floor is really slippery in pointe shoes...


You knew I would bring it back to books, didn't you?;)  Here is the stack of books waiting to be reviewed...  I get giddy just looking at it!


My husband and I have been marathoning The Following on netflix.  Downton Abbey is nice but The Following makes my pulse pound!  Reminds me a bit of Silence of the Lambs.  Creepy in the very best way...


What have you been up to?

4 comments:

Rho said...

Hey Lori,

I've been very busy since Thursday! School started and I also had gotten back into my photography class as well. I am slowly but surely getting back into reading several books. I highly recommend reading Gathering Blues! It's about a girl named Kira, who has a twisted leg, is orphaned and must learn to survive in a society that normally leaves the weak or disabled exposed to die in the fields. In Gathering Blue, Kira needs a reason for the Council of Edifice to keep her in the village and not take her to the Field (which is certain death at the hands of The Beasts). Kira has a gift for embroidery, and the Council keeps her around to mend and update a beautiful robe that shows the history of their society. In the course of the book, she begins to learn the art of dyeing thread different colors, except for blue, which nobody in her community knows how to make. She also learns more about the truth of her village and the terrible secrets they hold. The book is a companion novel to The Giver and Son, and is followed by Messenger in The Giver Series. I also highly recommend reading The Help! It is such an excellent book to read and I read it about 1,000 times by now.

Anyway have a great rest of your weekend!

Sincerely,
Rhoda

mysteryhistorymom said...

This book sounds wonderful, Rhoda! I'll definitely add it to my reading list. Thanks for letting me know about it!:) Lori

Sheri said...

Cozy - that's my favorite word lately. We have actually had winter for over a WEEK now in Florida - LOL. My sweet aunt is back in the hospital so I've been spending a lot of time there. Big hugs to you! xo

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous picture of Miss Katie!!
OK so board game recommendations....
Settlers of Catan
Ticket to Ride
Bohnanza
Canasta
Bang
Munchkins

Love you and miss you,
Angel