American Girl Class!
We started the day with bartering. The girls amazed me with
corn husk dolls...
sparkly notebooks and frames...
colorful pot holders...
stuffed matryoshka dolls, doll blankets and pillows, headbands
and blingy flip flops!
It's such fun to watch them shop.:)
Then, we worked in the kitchen...
making a traditional Swedish dish that Kirsten would have
enjoyed on a cold morning....
(Can't wait for cold mornings to return!)
Skansk grot (SKONE-sk groot) - Swedish Rice Pudding
It was yummy! (recipe below)
Since we didn't have the time to make a quilt we did the next
We created Paper Quilts on notecards!
(Purchased at TJ Maxx)
Then, the girls painted some wooden boxes that we will
finish at our next class.
It was a fun time for visiting and giggling. Aren't girls
Back inside, the girls practiced Apple Dancing! It is not easy,
let me tell you.
Super fun to watch, though.:)
The girls had to dance while keeping an apple from falling!
This is the kind of fun that pioneer children had. No TV and
Nintendo back then!
The girls really had a good time trying this.:)
1 large apple
a tsp. butter
1 cup white rice
1 cup water
3 inch cinnamon stick
4 cups milk
3 TB brown sugar
1/3 cup raisins (we skipped this)
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Skin and cut the apple into tiny pieces.
2. Use your fingers to rub butter over the bottom of your saucepan.
3.Put the rice, water and cinnamon stick into the saucepan. Place the pan over med. heat.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil.
5. Lower the heat until the mixture simmers. You will see tiny bubbles along the edge of the pan when it is simmering.
6. Cover the pan and simmer the rice 10-15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
7. Pour the milk into the saucepan. Turn up the heat and stir until it begins to simmer.
8. When the milk begins to simmer, turn down the heat to low. Carefully add the brown sugar, chopped apple and raisins. Stir gently.
9. Cover the pan and allow the porridge to summer for about 45 min. As it cooks it will thicken. Stir it once or twice as it cooks.
10. Turn off the heat and take the pan from the stove. Remove the cinnamon stick. Stir in the vanilla.
11. Pour the porridge into a bowl. Serve it warm with cream or honey.