About Me

My photo
Mysteries, polka dots, California Rolls, TJ Maxx, cozy blankets, rainy days and getting the first spoonful of peanut butter out of the jar make me smile. Spiders, rude people, cold fingers and toes, baby leashes, people that don't wrap their packages before going to the Post Office, poison ivy and Math (pretty much all of it) make me want to scream. My perfect day would be spent with my wonderful husband and sweet girls- watching movies in our jammies! Of course, having the movie theater to ourselves would be great, too. Please pass the popcorn and M&M's.:) I am saved by the grace of God. He is my constant companion and hears my every prayer. What a blessing! I'd love to hear from you! Lori at toosillysisters@cox.net

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Do you know how to play "The Game"?

How smart are you in the World of Women?
You know what I mean.
Are you a Queen Bee or a Worker Bee?


                            Do you know how to "play the game"?
                   At the age of 42 I still struggle with the idea of who 
                  knows who, whose husband makes more money, 
                  who has the biggest house, etc.
                   I really don't care.


                            Or deep down, do I care too much?



God has blessed my family abundantly and I would never look down on someone who had less.
I suppose some may think I do?
Jealousy is certainly ugly and I have fallen victim to it- many times.



For the most part, I am a Celia.
I want so badly to be liked by everyone.
I have everything I could ever dream of, yet I still often feel like I am not good enough.
I also try to be a friend to all and love a nice cold soda.:)



I wish I was a bit more like Skeeter and Aibilene.
Their road is not an easy one.
I find it difficult to go against the crowd.
So you see, I am a Worker Bee.



               
               Queen Bees are cruel.  
           They love power and don't care who they step on to get it.
            How exhausting.
            I loved how Constantine tells Skeeter in the movie that 
           "ugly" is an attitude and a feeling. 
            Hilly Holbrook (Queen Bee extraordinaire) certainly 
            pegged "ugly".  
            Sad to say, I have known quite a few Hillies in my life.
            I know you have, too.


           Which character(s) do you identify with in The Help?

11 comments:

Tina said...

I haven't seen the movie yet, but now I really want to!
I've seen my share of Queen Bees though...I try to avoid them!

Tristan said...

I have yet to read or see the help!! BUT, i'm with you..lol..sound just like what I would say ;)

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen it yet either. I really can't decide if I want to read the book first tho.

Kim's Treasures said...

Great post! I am a combo of Skeeter and Celia. Not many people know that my husband is a Vice President of Product Engineering North America. We don't flaunt that. It's not important. Relationships are important. It's what's on the inside...not titles, money or houses. We stand up for what's right but I know there are plenty of times when I'm afraid no one will like me, no one is reading my blog...the list could go on.

This really is a great post!

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Lori
I don't really know. I asked Jessica and she said I am like none of the characters! I know I am definately a Worker Bee and not a Queen Bee! I can't wait to see this movie and very excited to see the amazing characters come to life.
Lindsay
x

val said...

I didn't read the book and haven't seen the movie...don't like tear jerkers at ALL.

michelle edwards joy said...

I am like Celia always tring to fit in but never succeeding. Someday maybe I'll learn that fitting in isn't all it's cracked up to be but it does get lonely looking in from he outside. The older I get I thing I'm a tiny bit like skeeter.

Danielle said...

Ohhhh...I've been SO wanting to read the book before I see the movie. I feel silly even chiming in here - because neither have yet to materialize.

But...

I'm not really sure where I fit into the world of women. I've always ALWAYS hated being around competitive women. I hate that feeling of always being watched and judged and competed against. I am who I am. Broken and beaten and striving towards Grace. We struggle to make ends meet but we're happy. Before chronic illness entered our world...we were more financially comfortable. And it's not that we aren't any more. It's just that with Trevy's diagnosis came many hard choices which included a career shift and the financial cost of his care is staggering if I dwell on it too long. And yet...and I really mean this...he has enriched us in other ways. Maybe more important ways? Also, his diagnosis has been a great "friend filter". And certainly if I had any queen bee in me whatsoever...the energy it takes to care for three kiddos has beaten it outta me! :)

And anyway...for what it's worth...even though I don't really "know" you. I feel like I'd connect with you. You seem to be very beautiful...in the soul.

...danielle

Jessica said...

hahah...i haven't seen the movie yet, but i listened to the book on cd...i feel most like Aibileen ;)(despite the obvious difference in skin color)...i understand her most.

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

I haven't seen the movie or read the book yet....but I'd say I'm a worker bee.

Angela C said...

I just saw this movie today! The characters really were wonderful, though watching someone be taken advantage of or mistreated is hard for me, even if it is just a movie. I'm not sure who I would relate to the most, probably Celia. Her trying to make the cake is pretty much how I feel about my domestic or hostessing abilities. :-) And does anyone really feel like they "fit in?" I don't know. Sometimes I just feel like I barely keep my head above water in life and wish that somehow I could be more of a blessing to others. I just have to remind myself that I have given the Lord all I am and all I have. I will trust Him with my life and trust that through my weakness He will be strong.

Lori, you are amazing. You are a wonderful caring mother and have blessed so many. Some may change the world by going against the tide and some do it one blessing at a time. Sometimes a dose of love and kindness makes all the difference! :-)