About Me

My photo
Mysteries, polka dots, California Rolls, TJ Maxx, cozy blankets, rainy days and getting the first spoonful of peanut butter out of the jar make me smile. Spiders, rude people, cold fingers and toes, baby leashes, people that don't wrap their packages before going to the Post Office, poison ivy and Math (pretty much all of it) make me want to scream. My perfect day would be spent with my wonderful husband and sweet girls- watching movies in our jammies! Of course, having the movie theater to ourselves would be great, too. Please pass the popcorn and M&M's.:) I am saved by the grace of God. He is my constant companion and hears my every prayer. What a blessing! I'd love to hear from you! Lori at toosillysisters@cox.net

Monday, May 19, 2008

Homemade Oatmeal

I thought we were spoiled.  We eat instant Quaker oatmeal, my favorite being Cinnamon and Spice, quite frequently for breakfast.  Well, while on vacation I discovered the creamy, rich goodness of homemade oatmeal.  I don't know if I can ever go back.  I ate it every chance I had, adding brown sugar and raisins.  Mmmmm- yummy.  While reading Prevention magazine (it always gets me motivated to get my act together) I found a recipe that I think I will try tomorrow morning:

Fruity-Nutty Oatmeal

1 cup water
2 1/2 c fat free milk, divided
1 1/4 c old-fashioned rolled oats
pinch of salt (optional)
1 lg pear or med Granny Smith apple, cored and cut into 1/4 in pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
1/4 cup dark or golden raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 tsp brown sugar


Bring water and 1 1/2 cups of the milk to a boil in a large, heavy saucepan over high heat.  Stir in oats and salt.  Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 3 min., stirring often, until oats start to soften.

Stir in pear.  Cover and simmer about 3 min. more or until it is tender but still a bit crisp.  Stir in cranberries and raisins.  Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 1 min. to soften.

Divide evenly among 4 warm bowls.  Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons of the walnuts and 1/2 tsp. of the sugar.  Top each bowl with 1/4 cup of the remaining milk.

What do you think?  I know the weather is getting warmer, but what a way to start the day!:-)


1 comment:

~ Roxanne said...

I love old fashion oatmeal! It only takes 3 minutes in the microwave.

If you like oatmeal, have you ever tried hot grapenuts? Add dried cranberries, dried apples, and bits of walnuts, it is bits of heaven :o}