About Me

My photo
Mysteries, polka dots, California Rolls, TJ Maxx, cozy blankets, rainy days and getting the first spoonful of peanut butter out of the jar make me smile. Spiders, rude people, cold fingers and toes, baby leashes, people that don't wrap their packages before going to the Post Office, poison ivy and Math (pretty much all of it) make me want to scream. My perfect day would be spent with my wonderful husband and sweet girls- watching movies in our jammies! Of course, having the movie theater to ourselves would be great, too. Please pass the popcorn and M&M's.:) I am saved by the grace of God. He is my constant companion and hears my every prayer. What a blessing! I'd love to hear from you! Lori at toosillysisters@cox.net

Saturday, March 21, 2009

One Rainy Day

   It was a cool and rainy day today- just like I like em'.:)  Katie participated in her first art show and it was such fun seeing her picture displayed for the public!  Hers is the one on the right- "Beautiful Bird House."


   This is another different type of kaleidoscope.  Gorgeous.

   Look at the chocolates in the case!  You know we had to buy some on our way out.:)


This is the front of the shop.  It appears that this used to be a soda fountain.  I imagine that years ago this used to be an establishment similar to the the one that Jimmy Stewart worked in (when he was a boy) in the movie "It's a Wonderful Life."  A malt shop!  That's it!

   After looking at the art, we went next door to the most wonderful quilt shop.  Oh my goodness, we were in there for the longest time!

   The fabrics were luscious, the people were friendly, and I never wanted to leave...

   And they had BUTTONS!


   We walked down the old, rickety stairs to the basement (where all their clearance items are held) and found an old safe where they kept oodles of new fabrics.  Katie was pretending that we were stuck in the basement and that we had to find a secret passageway through the vault.  It's all those Nancy Drew mysteries, I tell you.  LOVE it.


   There were quilts everywhere!  One could not help but be inspired by all the colors, fabrics, textures and books.
   I applied for a frequent shoppers card.  Guess I better learn how to sew.


15 comments:

Darlene said...

Katie's picture is so CUTE....she did a wonderful job!! It looks like a really neat place where it was displayed and the quilt store sounds fabulous! I am wanting to learn to sew also. We have a small sewing shop that gives lessons and I am thinking about taking some.

Summer Gypsy said...

Hi Lori,
What a great place to visit!!! I love the fabrics and buttons a lot! No, I haven't seen the postman yet. I'll let you know when he arrives!
Blessings,
Marilyn

theUngourmet said...

What beautiful treasures you found! Those look like wonderful shops. I love seeing places like this! Your daughter artwork is beautiful, she is very talented!

Tristan said...

FUN! Your Katie is such a doll!!

I love that quilt with the red barn...love,love,love!!

Sherri said...

What a cute picture of Katie!! Good for her! I would have been in heaven in that shop and the quilt shop! I'm with you Lori I would have taken some chocolates to go!! Glad you had a wonderful day!

KKJD1 said...

What a thriving little artist you have! That is so great she was in an artshow I know you are just as proud as she is. Blessings,Karen

Artfulife said...

So fun! They sound like places I would want to visit often. Congratulations on her lovely piece being in her very fist (of many I hope) art shows.

Kati said...

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I sent my birdie swap package out.. so it should have already been received!

Elise said...

I would have LOVED to have gone to both of those places with y'all!! Love that sign, too!! And that glass front cabinet...so charming!! I wish we had soda shops like in Its a Wonderful Life. Sigh...life looks like it would have been so much more charming back then.
Love the photos!!
Elise

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Lori
Katie's picture is beautiful. What a lovely event to take part in. Both shops looked amazing. I would not have been able to resist the chocolates and ooooh all those gorgeous fabrics in the quilt shop I would have spent a fortune in there.
Lindsay

Kim's Treasures said...

I LOVE how the art show was presented! I bet she was so excited! Tell her congratulations, she did a great job!!!

The quilt shop looks so wonderful! I need to learn to sew better before investing in such beautiful fabrics!

Hope you have a wonderful day! I still have one more thing to do for my swap and it will be out!

Kim

jennykate77 said...

What a fun fun day! I love the pictures. Her artwork looks fabulous!!

I just had to stop by and tell you that the Twilight watch party was a BLAST!! I seriously had the best time...even though I wasn't 12. AND to my surprise I wasn't the only 30+ person there without a 12 year old in tow. I wish all my Twilight friends could have been there!

Hope you had a great weekend!
Enjoy your Monday!! ttys☺

Heather said...

Congrats to Katie....she did a great job! The place looks like so much fun. The kaleidoscopes(those without Mandy in the pic) made me squeal because my grandfather made one of the them for me.They are so beautiful aren't they? The kids & I were just looking through it on Saturday.....such a coincidink.

I need to do a better job documenting fun places I find like that...you did a good job & I felt like I was there with you guys(I wish)

Robin Beck said...

I love Katie's birdhouse art! She did an amazing job!
I loved the store that had all the fabrics and buttons-Was it called Heaven? :)
Yes, you are going to have to learn to sew with a frequent shoppers card now!
Robin~♥

~ Roxanne said...

You have found "The Rabbits Lair!"

Did you see my quilting post that mentions the beautiful store? I got my inspiration pieces for a quilt from their bargain basement. I need to get back there for more fabric. But will probably have to order on line to get more of my inspiration piece.