About Me

My photo
Mysteries, polka dots, California Rolls, TJ Maxx, cozy blankets, rainy days and getting the first spoonful of peanut butter out of the jar make me smile. Spiders, rude people, cold fingers and toes, baby leashes, people that don't wrap their packages before going to the Post Office, poison ivy and Math (pretty much all of it) make me want to scream. My perfect day would be spent with my wonderful husband and sweet girls- watching movies in our jammies! Of course, having the movie theater to ourselves would be great, too. Please pass the popcorn and M&M's.:) I am saved by the grace of God. He is my constant companion and hears my every prayer. What a blessing! I'd love to hear from you! Lori at toosillysisters@cox.net

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Old and Cold




Yesterday we were lucky enough to tour an archealogical dig!  The weather was oh so cold and rainy, but we braved the elements anyway.  We learned that the men and women were trying to locate the "privy" (aka: the outhouse) because that is where the settlers would throw their broken pottery, trash, etc.  They had just started digging that morning, but had already discovered some Indian artifacts and a clay marble.  We may stop by later today to see what else they have found.
After the tour, the girls were able to explore the museum.  They dressed up and gave us their best pious looks.  What is it that made them look so sad/angry in those long ago pictures?  Then Mandy and Hannah tried their hand at checkers and Katie did some old time laundry.  Sure makes you thankful for your washer and dryer!

2 comments:

Kemma said...

I had been told once that people looked so somber in the photos because they were told to sit as still as stone, because the shutter had to be open for so long, and smiles tended to fade, so they were told NOT to smile, to avoid the blurry-mouth look. Who knows? Urban legend?
I love that second-to-last photo. A few visits back, I managed to get Nana's old washboard. She just laughed "What in the WORLD would you want with THAT old thing... I was going to throw it out, and never got around to it..." I'm so glad I have that little part of her history in my house. Not that I'll EVER use it. But it's a nice decoration.

~ Roxanne said...

How fun minus the cold. Isn't wonderful that we live in a time that we are able to experience so much and then to experience them again with the photos and journaling :o)