About Me

My photo
Mysteries, polka dots, California Rolls, TJ Maxx, cozy blankets, rainy days and getting the first spoonful of peanut butter out of the jar make me smile. Spiders, rude people, cold fingers and toes, baby leashes, people that don't wrap their packages before going to the Post Office, poison ivy and Math (pretty much all of it) make me want to scream. My perfect day would be spent with my wonderful husband and sweet girls- watching movies in our jammies! Of course, having the movie theater to ourselves would be great, too. Please pass the popcorn and M&M's.:) I am saved by the grace of God. He is my constant companion and hears my every prayer. What a blessing! I'd love to hear from you! Lori at toosillysisters@cox.net

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Birthday Parties Gone Wild

   First of all, let me start off by saying that I love birthday parties.  I love planning them, I love reading about them, but when it comes down to it I really don't like hosting them.  It's just me, I guess.  I want them to be so perfect, for everyone to have fun and for my birthday girls to be happy each and every minute.  That's a huge undertaking for a Mom.  Anyway, I just finished reading this article about people spending $10,000 on a party for their child.  I don't mind spending money, in fact I rather enjoy it, but isn't that INSANE??!  I have seen a few episodes of the MTV show "My Super Sweet 16" and I wanted to vomit.  I did not like even one of those children.  So sad.  They were incredibly spoiled and treated their parents like trash.  
   Lately, I have found that many of my friends do not have birthday parties for their children every year.  Some celebrate every certain number of years and some just celebrate with their families.  This is sounding better and better to me.  I am pretty sure that we will still host birthday parties for our girls, but I am really going to try and tone things down.  You know, less people, less unnecessary "stuff".  Last year Katie really wanted to have a birthday party at our home with the big event being cookie decorating.  Well, we ended up going to Chuck E. Cheese where she was scared to death of the giant mouse.   She and her little friends did have fun, but they would have had just as much fun decorating cookies and just playing together.  Live and learn, huh?

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about! We spent a small fortune that we didn't have for the first few birthdays for MJ w/ so many people...I ask her now if she remembers any of them...guess what her answer is? A big ol' fat no. We had a simple swim party at the jones center last year, just bought basic supplies and a pinata...she had a ball...hardly any money spent...and she remembers that one!! lol They arn't impressed with all the fluff...so what's the point eh?

~ Roxanne said...

This is something I have been contemplating. I have heard several people start scaling down when their children are around eight.

Sydney's birthday is around the corner and we are talking about two friends and her going horse back riding. Now I need to find out if their is a place locally that children can go horse back riding. No pony thing.